Wednesday 2 February 2011

Homophobia on Twitter

In the past, I've been unfortunate to be on the receiving end of some homophobic comments on Twitter.  I can recall one particular incident where the remarks came from someone who I thought I got on well with.  Though the tweets took a sinister turn when he realised that I'm gay and a tirade of abuse came shortly afterwards.  It was bizarre because it's not something I've shyed away from discussing on Twitter.  It's mentioned in my profile and I often discuss aspects of my life on there, as any other Tweeter does. 

Yesterday, the following tweet was brought to my attention:

"Im not up for the whole Gay rights thing so if your gay Gladly unfollow me"



At my age (mid-thirties - but still hot!), I'm afraid I find things hard to let go - and to read such a comment from a young girl was particularly sad.  The young girl in question claims to be a fan of  'One Direction' (X-Factor) and Disney.  I admit, I took some pleasure in informing her that 'One Direction' recently performed to a crowd of gay men at the popular London club night G-A-Y.  I doubt that they would appreciate such homophobic remarks from someone who follows their career.  I was also keen to mention that Disney organises specific 'gay days' and that it's a gay friendly organisation. 

When her behaviour was questioned by other people, she decided to ignore the issue by stating that people were against her rights for 'Freedom of Speech', which was completely untrue.   I won't stop challenging homophobic people.   I kind of feel that it's my duty as a gay adult man to make it clear that such behaviour is wrong.  It's only by challenging homophobia that we can start to correct the problems that every gay person experiences.  It's important for the next generation of gay youngsters.

The girl with the social problems is Muslim, and I have no problem with anyones right to practice religion.  I have friends from all backgrounds and different religions and they all treat with the same respect as anyone else.  However, I do struggle to be tolerant of someone who says that they don't believe in 'Gay Rights'.  So, what did she mean?  Does she think that gay people should be segrigated?  Does she think that gay people should not be allowed to work?  What have gay people done to deserve no rights?  I'll never know what her thoughts are because she blocked me the very next day. 



It's a crying shame that there are lots of ignorant people who use their religion as a means to justify their bad behaviour.  I'll admit, I was waiting for her to quote religious text.  I'm afraid the world has moved on since the scrolls were first written.  We have iPads and Kindles, contraception, life-saving drugs, television, The Simpsons etc... I'm afraid I'd have a hard time trying to make sacred words from a different age relevant today.

Despite her beliefs that gay people are second class: If saw her in trouble, perhaps if she tripped and fell over and injured herself?  I would help her to her feet and make sure that she was OK.  I doubt she would offer me the same kind of kindness. 

I just hope that her brother or sister are not gay.  That her friends are all comfortable with their sexuality.  That she never meets another woman who she then finds strangely attractive.

I'm not going to go away.  The millions of other gay people are not going to go away.  The future gay people will be born into this world.  It's time to knock homophobia on the head for good. 

What I do in the bedroom is no concern of yours? 
Whoever I decide to love, is also no concern of yours? 

If there is a god, he made me.  He made me into the person I am - funny and incredibly attractive....and gay.  Though the gay part was only just the seasoning in the mix.  The important ingredients are the heart, the love and the fact that I'm a decent person. 

I have played a postive role in society.  Can the homophobes say that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment