Thursday 23 September 2010

True Confessions of a Bananarama fan

It's 1986. A year that I had hair (unlike now). A time where I would spend my pocket money on 7" vinyl, pop magazines and mountains of sweets. I was a massive fan of girl group legend 'Bananarama'. I still have a crush on them now. This was the year when they released 'True Confessions' - the album that included the massive global hit 'Venus'. It was a time of innocence. A time where I didn't realise that I would end up being a massive homosexual. The video to 'Venus' featured lots of scantily clad male dancers - but being so young, I barely noticed them. I was far more interested in the girly threesome, their ridiculous dance moves and the high-NRG pop music that was blasting out of my dodgy Sanyo stereo.
.
I desperately wanted to be Bananarama. I wanted to be prancing around in pop videos, singing with my mates and having a fabulous time. (Doesn't everyone want that?) I wanted their denim jackets. I wanted to be travelling the world and appearing on charity records with grumpy pop stars like Boy George.
.
When I look at the current pop music climate, I wonder where the fun has gone? I miss the ragged edges of eighties pop music. Back in the 80's, there was no high-tech studio tweaking. If somebody sang off-key, that was OK. Pop videos were silly, less glamorous but still fabulous.
.
Why do we still like the 'Eighties'? It's simple - it's because the nineties and noughties are less fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment